The formula of present continuous tense formula in English with examples/sentences. The formula of the simple present tense in English.
Present Continuous Tense Formula
Structures of Present Continuous Tense
Positive Sentence Formula
- Subject + am/is/are + present participle (verb+ing) + the rest of the sentence
- Short Formula: (Sub+am/is/are+Ving+Obj)
|Subject||A form of be + Verbing||rest of the sentence|
|I||am studying||for my exam.|
|He/She/It||is playing||soccer with her friends.|
|You/we/they||are working||on a project together.|
Negative Sentence Formula
- Subject + am/is/are + not + present participle (verb+ing) + the rest of the sentence
- Short Formula: (Sub+am/is/are+not+Ving+Obj)
|Subject||A form of be + Verbing||Object|
|I||am not studying||for the exam.|
|He / She / It||is not playing||soccer.|
|You/We/They||are not traveling||to Europe.|
Interrogative Sentence Formula
- am/is/are + subject + present participle (verb+ing) + the rest of the sentence?
- Short Formula: (am/is/are+Sub+Ving+Obj)
|A form of be||Subject||Verbing||Object|
|Is||He / She / It||cooking||dinner?|
|Are||You/We/They||studying||for your exam?|
Negative Interrogative Sentence Formula
- am/is/are + subject + not + present participle (verb+ing) + the rest of the sentence?
- Short Formula: (am/is/are+Sub+not+Ving+Obj)
|Is||He / She / It||not||playing||basketball?|
Wh-Questions Sentence Formula
- Wh-word + am/is/are + subject + verbing + the rest of the sentence?
- Short Formula: (Wh- + am/is/are+Sub+Ving+Obj)
|Wh- word||Auxiliary verb||Subject||Verb||Object|
|What||are||You / We / They||cooking||for dinner?|
|Why||is||He / She / It||arguing||with each other?|
Sentences of Present Continuous Tense with Formula
Positive Sentences (Sub+am/is/are+Ving+Obj)
- They are playing soccer in the park.
- We are studying for the exam.
- He is cooking dinner in the kitchen.
- I am writing an email to my friend.
- The children are singing a song.
Negative Sentences (Sub+am/is/are+not+Ving+Obj)
- We are not going to the movies tonight.
- He is not working on the project.
- The dog is not barking at the mailman.
- The children are not watching TV.
- My friend is not coming to the party.
Interrogative Sentences (am/is/are+Sub+Ving+Obj)
- Is it raining outside?
- Are we going to the park?
- Is John coming to the party?
- Are the children playing in the garden?
- Is Sarah working on her project?
- Are the dogs barking loudly?
Negative Interrogative Sentences (am/is/are+not+Sub+Ving+Obj)
- Isn’t she studying for the exam?
- Aren’t we going the wrong way?
- Isn’t he playing basketball right now?
- Aren’t they enjoying the movie?
- Aren’t you wearing your glasses?
Wh-Questions Sentences (Wh- + am/is/are+Sub+Ving+Obj)
- How are they feeling?
- Why are you studying so hard?
- Who is she meeting later?
- Where are they staying tonight?
- What are we wearing to the party?