What is the present perfect tense?
The present perfect tense is a verb tense used to express an action that happened in the past and continues up to the present moment.
- She has just finished her yoga class.
- I have spoken to my parents today.
- We have seen this movie before.
- The team has broken a world record.
- She has just finished a marathon.
Present Perfect Tense
Present Perfect Tense Formula
Subject + have/has + past participle verb (V3) + object
|Positive||[Subject + Have/has + V3 + object]||I have read that book|
|Negative||[Subject + Have/has + not + V3 + object]||I haven’t read that book.|
|Question||[Have/has + subject + V3 + object + ?]||Have you read that book?|
|Negative Interrogative||[Have/has + subject + not + V3 + object + ?]||Have you not read that book?|
Present Perfect Tense Examples
|I have eaten an apple.||I haven’t eaten an apple.||Have I eaten an apple?|
|He has learned all the lessons.||He hasn’t learned all the lessons.||Has he learned all the lessons?|
|She has sung a song.||She hasn’t sung a song.||Has she sung a song?|
|They have written a book.||They haven’t written a book.||Have they written a book?|
|He has won an award.||He hasn’t won an award.||Has he won an award?|
Affirmative Sentences in Present Perfect Tense
- I have read that book three times.
- My mom has cooked delicious food.
- We have gone skydiving in Dubai.
- She has published a book on recipes.
- She has climbed Mount Everest.
- The team has won the World Cup.
- We have attended a music festival.
- She has lived in New York since 2010.
- They have traveled to Europe twice
- She has completed a coding boot camp.
- They have taken a cooking class in Germany.
- They have raised money for an NGO.
- She has completed a master’s degree in psychology.
- Have you ridden a camel in the desert?
- We have celebrated our anniversary in Paris.
- They have adopted a healthier lifestyle.
- He has repaired his car himself.
- She has planted a vegetable garden.
- He has learned to play the guitar.
- The company has hired new employees.
Negative Sentences in Present Perfect Tense
- I haven’t finished my breakfast yet.
- He hasn’t fulfilled his promise.
- I haven’t studied for the exam.
- You have not made a decision yet.
- He hasn’t tried the new restaurant in town.
- She hasn’t made any plans for her birthday.
- They haven’t taken any break for an hour.
- He has not read that book yet.
- She hasn’t been able to quit smoking.
- They haven’t been able to focus on my work.
- She hasn’t received any recognition for her work.
- We haven’t seen any improvement in his behavior.
- He has not gone on a road trip yet.
- She has not watched that TV series.
- You have not attended that festival yet.
- They have not returned the books.
- She hasn’t updated her resume.
- He hasn’t answered any of my questions.
- He hasn’t taken care of the garden in a while.
- They haven’t been able to find the missing key.
Interrogative Sentences in Present Perfect Tense
- Has she eaten breakfast this morning?
- Haven’t you been feeling well lately?
- Has he learned how to cook?
- Has he been to the library recently?
- Has he replied to your email yet?
- Has she replied to your text message?
- Haven’t you studied for the exam?
- Has he received his salary for this month?
- Have you solved all the problems?
- Has he gone to the market?
- Has he made any sales this week?
- Have you watched the news today?
- Has he been honest with you?
- Has she cooked dinner?
- Has he made any mistakes in the task?
- Has he hurt his head while playing basketball?
- Have you input the data correctly into the system?
- Has she arrived at the hotel already?
- Have you danced at any parties recently?
- Has she fought in any martial arts competitions before?
Present Perfect Tense Exercise
- I ____________ a treehouse in my backyard. (build)
- _______ the dog _________ anyone before? (bite)
- They ____________ a house in the suburbs. (buy)
- He ____________ to study abroad next semester. (choose)
- _______ you ever __________ a surprise for someone? (arrange)
- They ____________ the thief who stole their car. (catch)
- She ____________ the bathroom thoroughly. (clean)
- I ____________ dinner for my family. (cook)
- She ____________ the message to the boss already. (deliver)
- She ____________ a great job on her project. (do)
- I have built a treehouse in my backyard. (build)
- Has the dog bitten anyone before? (bite)
- They have bought a house in the suburbs. (buy)
- He has chosen to study abroad next semester. (choose)
- Have you ever arranged a surprise for someone? (arrange)
- They have caught the thief who stole their car. (catch)
- She has cleaned the bathroom thoroughly. (clean)
- I have cooked dinner for my family. (cook)
- She has delivered the message to the boss already. (deliver)
- She has done a great job on her project. (do)