The simple past tense is used to describe the action that happened in the past.
Simple Past Tense
Simple Past Tense Formula
Subject + Past form of verb (V2) + object.
|Type of |
|Positive||[Subject + V2 + object]||She got up early in the morning.|
|Negative||[Subject + did + not + V1 + object]||She didn’t get up early in the morning.|
|Question||[Did + subject + V1 + object + ?]||Did she get up early in the morning?|
|Wh-Questions||[Wh + Did + subject + V1 + object + ?]||Why did she get up early in the morning?|
Simple Past Tense Examples
|I wrote letters.||I did not write letters.||Did I write letters?|
|You studied math.||You did not study math||Did you study math?|
|He played soccer.||He did not play soccer.||Did he play soccer?|
|She sang beautifully.||She did not sand beautifully.||Did she sing beautifully?|
|They ate dinner.||They didn’t eat dinner.||Did they eat dinner?|
Affirmative Sentences in Simple Past Tense
- He played soccer in high school.
- The sun rose early this morning.
- She cooked dinner for her family yesterday.
- They ate breakfast at the restaurant.
- It worried me to hear about the storm.
- It shocked me to see the accident.
- She wrote a letter to her best friend.
- We hiked to the top of the mountain.
- She learned how to ride a horse.
- He read a book in one sitting.
- It smelled delicious in the kitchen.
- She worked overtime to finish the project.
- They helped his neighbor with gardening.
- He took a nap after lunch.
- They met at the coffee shop.
- I went to the store yesterday.
- It relieved me to find my lost keys.
- He painted a beautiful landscape.
- We went on a tour of the city.
- He bought a new car last month.
Negative Sentences in Simple Past Tense
- We didn’t watch any movies.
- The phone didn’t ring loudly.
- I didn’t study hard yesterday.
- He didn’t paint a portrait.
- I didn’t travel to Europe.
- The tree didn’t grow tall.
- He didn’t run a marathon.
- The team didn’t win the championship.
- They didn’t study for the test.
- We didn’t travel to Europe together.
- She didn’t swim in the pool.
- We didn’t watch the fireworks display.
- The cat didn’t catch a mouse.
- She didn’t paint her bedroom blue.
- We didn’t go to the beach yesterday.
- They didn’t bake cookies for the party.
- He didn’t cook dinner for his family.
- The teacher didn’t grade the papers quickly.
- They didn’t watch a movie last night.
- She didn’t study for her exam diligently.
Interrogative Sentences in Simple Past Tense
- Did they play basketball yesterday?
- Did he read the book last night?
- Did we eat pizza for dinner?
- Did you finish your presentation?
- Did the team win the game?
- Did they swim in the pool?
- Did they take a nap this afternoon?
- Did he call his friend yesterday?
- Did they take the dog for a walk?
- Did they walk to school this morning?
- Did you visit the art gallery?
- Did the car break down on Monday?
- Did the baby take her first steps?
- Did I take a photography class online?
- Did she complete the puzzle in minutes?
- Did they watch a comedy movie?
- Did the weather get better?
- Did the phone ring all night?
- Did she draw a picture for me?
- Did he play tennis yesterday?
Interrogative-Negative Sentences in Simple Past Tense
- Didn’t he finish her homework before dinner?
- Didn’t she go shopping last weekend?
- Didn’t they play soccer yesterday?
- Didn’t he read the book?
- Didn’t the bus arrive on time?
- Didn’t she eat pasta for dinner?
- Didn’t you study for the exam?
- Didn’t they sing a song at the concert?
- Didn’t she ride his bike to work?
- Didn’t the team win the match?
Simple Past Tense Exercise
- The children _______ to the park. (go)
- All the birds _______ south for the winter. (fly)
- She _______ a letter to her friend. (write)
- The snow _______ gently on the trees. (fall)
- He _______ to the top of the mountain. (hike)
- She _______ a poem about the ocean. (write)
- You _______ for the exam last night. (study)
- He _______ late on Sunday morning. (sleep)
- She _______ a picture of the sunset. (take)
- They _______ in the ocean waves. (surf)
- The children went to the park. (go)
- All the birds flew south for the winter. (fly)
- She wrote a letter to her friend. (write)
- The snow fell gently on the trees. (fall)
- He hiked to the top of the mountain. (hike)
- She wrote a poem about the ocean. (write)
- You studied for the exam last night. (study)
- He slept late on Sunday morning. (sleep)
- She took a picture of the sunset. (take)
- They surfed in the ocean waves. (surf)